1) Using expired makeup - this symbol represents the useful life of a personal product after the package has been opened for the first time. You will find this symbol on the packaging and/or on the label of the pot/bottle/can containing the cosmetic product. When in doubt, toss it if the texture and smell of the product changes.
|Via Google images|
3) Penciled eyebrows - I used to draw on my eyebrows with a black brow pencil, it made me look too harsh. I still prefer pencil, but I found a softer brown color and use it only to fill in bald spots rather than drawing in the entire brow. Eyeshadow powder or brow powder work well too.
4) Too much eyeliner - those raccoon eyed years in high school were scary! I cringe whenever I see my old photos. I was young and loved my black eyeliner a little too much. I had a heavy hand and laid it on good on the top and bottom of my eyes. I was liberated when I softened up my eyes when I started college, good move and never again in my life.
|Via Google images|
6) Too light or dark foundation - I have been matched with foundation that is utterly the wrong color for me. When I am at the store getting matched with a new foundation, I would do the following:
a) Get matched in three shades closest to my skin tone, then I can compare and tell which shade matches the best to my skin tone.
b) Ask the MUA to put the best matched shade in a big patch closest to the jawline, so I can see it better and it should match closely to the color on my neck.
c) The store lighting is artificial, so I would take a hand held mirror and step outside to inspect the color on my face in natural light.
d) When in doubt, take some samples home. Take your time to try them out in natural light until you find the best shade that works for you.
7) Wearing makeup to bed - There were so many nights I wore makeup to bed without proper cleansing. This is a big No No. I did not exfoliate as much back then and had major clogged pores. My skin became irritated with pimples. I learned my lessons.
8) Too much concealer under eyes - Using too much concealer will only accentuate the fine lines under the eyes. I find the more watery formula works best under the eyes, blend it out well and less is always more.
9) Sharing makeup with friends - My friends and I used to share our makeup when we were younger. I love my friends, but sharing makeup is not hygienic. You can cross contaminate the products without knowing it. This is not advisable.
10) Wearing strong perfume in hot weather - I threw in this No No even though it is not makeup, but this is one of my biggest pet peeves. I did not realize it when I did it, but it can be suffocating and offensive to the people around you.
What are your makeup mistakes? Until next post......